Classed within the Grand Cru Saint-Julien in 1855, the origins of Château Lagrange can be traced back to the Middle Ages. It was only in the 18th century that it became dedicated to viticulture, finding favour with the American ambassador Thomas Jefferson, who placed it 3rd in his rank of personal favourites. After a series of crises between the 19th and 20th centuries (phylloxera, world wars), the property has risen from the ashes, notably thanks to the Suntory family who bought it in 1983 and undertook a large-scale renovation. Today, Château Lagrange is committed to producing wines with the greatest respect for nature. It has a reduced ecological footprint and the producers favour biodiversity (beehives, sheep rearing and 300 tree species). The vinification is just as attentive: the team of over thirty people carries out single-parcel selection using both traditional and more innovative methods. As for the grape varieties (70% Cabernet Sauvignon, 25% Merlot and 5% Petit Verdot for the reds, and 80% Sauvignon Blanc, 10% Sauvignon Gris and 10% Sémillon for the whites), they benefit from being grown in pebble soil, are harvested by hand, and vinified in stainless steel in order to preserve the delicate nature of the fruit. The wines are matured in 50% new casks.
Château Lagrange's second wine is strongly coloured and robust with classic Médoc tannins. Thanks to remarkably strict selection, this wine shows consistent quality. As it ages, it develops finesse and refinement